Back home
Charles Prince Airport

The Airport started operations in the early 1940s as a training base for pilots for the Royal Air force and the Southern Rhodesian Air force in the Second World War. The base closed around 1948.

In 1957 Mashonaland Flying Club (MFC) relocated to the then Mt Hampden airfield after approval from the Department of Civil Aviation from the then Marlborough airfield (present day new Marlborough)

Mount Hampden Airfield was then unmanned and designated as a training airfield. Charles Hilton Prince started working at this airfield in 1958 as an Air Traffic Controller and Airport Manager. Charles was an experienced Pilot, Chief Flying Instructor and first Civilian Air Traffic Controller and the first Airport Manager at Mt Hampden Airfield. He was at the airport from1958 to 1973. In honor of his service as a much respected pioneer of aviation (from 1937 to 1973) the Rhodesian government renamed Mt Hampden airfield ‘Charles Prince’ after Charles Hilton Prince on 22 June 1978.

Charles Prince Airport is located in Mt Hampden 12 km from West Gate (23km from the Main Post Office) it is under Zvimba Rural District Council. The airport is owned and operated by the Civil Aviation authority of Zimbabwe (CAAZ). It caters for aircraft that falls under the 5700 kg maximum all up weight (MAUW).

Charles Prince airport has 4 Runways (2 crossing strips) Rwy 06, 24, 14 and 32. The advantage of the four runways is that:

v  Runway in use always favorable to the wind due to the different runway headings. ( no problem with cross wind)

v  Convenience is handling aircraft in emergency

v  ability to handle a larger  traffic volume 

v  promotes safety

 
 

 

Copyright © CAAZ 2008 Disclaimer | Terms & Conditions | Sitemap Website by Cyberplex Africa