CAAZ was established on 1st January 1999 as a statutory body to replace the former Department of Civil Aviation and operate on commercial principles.
The purpose of CAAZ is to develop civil aviation and promote its safe, regular and efficient use inside and outside Zimbabwe. Its core functions are:
- To provide air navigation services.
- To provide airport facilities and services.
- To regulate the aviation industry.
- To facilitate the provision of air services.
- To advise the Government on all civil aviation matters.